Abruzzo is known for being one of the wildest regions in Italy. Its mountains are characterized by extraordinary biodiversity and the Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise National Park is considered one of the best places in Europe for the observation of large Mammals.
Among these, in addition to the different species of Ungulates, including the endemic Apennine Chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica ornata), the Marsican Brown Bear (Ursus arctos marsicanus) and the Italian Wolf (Canis lupus italicus) deserve particular attention.
The subspecies of Brown Bear present, endemic to Central Italy, represents one of the flagships of the fauna diversity of the italian territory. Although the population of Marsican Bears is made up of a small number of specimens, encounters with this species are not uncommon, especially in the spring or late summer, when the bears are busy feeding before and after the winter hibernation.
During the weekend we will track this plantigrade, as well another excellence of the Park: the Italian Wolf.
We will also have the opportunity to focus on birdwatching, on the observation of Reptiles and Amphibians, without forgetting to enjoy the wonderful landscapes of the Park and the history and culture of the area.
- Abruzzo National Park: Established in 1921, the Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise National Park (its full name) or PNALM, was the first protected area to be established in Italy. It has a territory consisting in a multitude of chains with peaks between 900 and 2200 meters. In a scenery composed of breathtaking landscapes, the Park hosts an extraordinary biodiversity. Abruzzo is best known for being one of the wildest regions in Italy and it’s considered one of the best places in Europe for the observation of large Mammals (Red Deer, Apennine Chamois, Marsican Brown Bear, Italian, etc.). Also all the other classes of vertebrates are well represented and each of them includes numerous taxa of great conservation interest (as for example Salamandrina perspicillata, Vipera ursinii, Denrocopos leucotos, etc.). The entomofauna is also of great value (there are numerous species of butterflies and beetles, among which it is impossible not to mention the wonderful Rosalia alpina). The flora with the centuries-old beechs and conifers, the endemics, and the dozens of orchid species, fascinate even the most demanding botanists.
- Historical villages of the Apennines: There are countless medieval villages that dot the Apennine mountains. Treasures of traditions, food and wine and ancient knowledge, they offer refuge and refreshment for explorers and travelers.
- Mammals: Marsican Brown Bear (Ursus arctos marsicanus), Italian Wolf (Canis lupus italicus), Apennine Chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica ornata), Red Deer (Cervus elaphus), Roe Deer (Capreolus capreolus), Italian Hare (Lepus corsicanus), Crested Porcupine (Hystrix cristata).
- Birds: The Park is home to around 230 bird species, including nesting, migratory and wintering ones. Among the many forest and mountain species, of great interest: Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos), Eurasian Griffon Vulture (Gyps fulvus), White-backed Woodpecker (Dendrocopos leucotos), White-throated Dipper (Cinclus cinclus), Red-billed Chough (Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax).
- The herpetofauna includes: Northern Spectacled Salamander (Salamandrina perspicillata), Apennine Yellow-bellied Toad (Bombina pachypus), Smooth Snake (Coronella austriaca), Riccioli’s Snake (Coronella girondica), Central Italy Asp (Vipera aspis francisciredi), Meadow Viper (Vipera ursinii).
- For macrophotography enthusiasts, an incredible number of invertebrates (mainly butterflies, dragonflies and beetles) and wild flowers.
- Day 1:
Meeting in Pescasseroli. Exploration of the Park, birdwatching and herping. Bear tracking. Dinner. Short journey by car to listen to the Wolf. Overnight.
- Day 2:
Breakfast. Wolf tracking. Exploration of the Cinquemiglia plateau, birdwatching and herping. Return to Pescasseroli and free time. Bear tracking. Dinner and overnight.
- Day 3:
Breakfast. Visit to a typical medieval village. Departure.
From 330 €*
* variable rate based on overnight stay (single room for single travelers, double for couples and cohabiting partners) according to Covid19 safety provisions and / or type of transport (independently or by car with the tour leader).
Discounted rates for K’ Nature customers, students and Ardea members.
For more information contact the organizers.
What is included:
- Overnight stays.
- Meals (2 breakfasts, 2 packed lunches, 2 dinners – drinks not included).
- From/to Naples and internal transferts, including fuel, tolls and parking (depending on the rate).
- Scientific accompaniment by zoologist for the duration of the trip, with support material for wildlife observations (binoculars, spotting scope, field guides, etc.) – supplied according to anti-Covid19 safety provisions.
- Travel insurance.
What’s not included:
- Everything not mentioned in the previous item.
- Groups with a maximum number of 15 participants.
- Cancel your participation in case of body temperature equal to or higher than 37 ° C.
- Keep the minimum distance of at least 2 meters.
- Permanent use of reusable mask (worn well) during stops is mandatory.
- Bring disinfectant gel with you.
- Reservations required through our website.
- It is recommended to bring binoculars with you. Although limited in number, optical material will be made available, sterilized before and after the activity, for individual use.
- In birdwatching and wildlife observation activities that involve the use of the spotting scope, this will be made available avoiding approaching the lenses.
- In case of carpooling (car passage to reach the meeting place), the number of passengers will be limited to two per row of seats. The vehicle will be disinfected after each excursion.
Penalties in the event of cancellation: In case of withdrawal of the contract by the consumer, the penalties are equal to 100% of the entire participation fee, in addition to the non-refundable insurance premiums.
Insurance against cancellation and repatriation costs: It is possible, and indeed advisable, to take out special insurance policies at the time of booking at the organizer’s offices against the costs arising from the cancellation of the package, from accidents or illnesses, which also cover the repatriation costs and for the loss and / or damage of baggage.
Number of participants: Min 2 – max 6
When the minimum group is not reached the entire amount paid will be refunded.
Participants who, for personal reasons, decide not to participate in the event anymore will not be entitled to any refund, except for those who have taken out ad hoc insurance with the agency (for more information contact the organizers).
Reservations within 10 days of the departure date.
Information regarding rates and payment methods will be communicated by email after filling in the request form.
Can’t find the experience of your dreams? Do you want to observe a particular species or visit a specific natural area?
We can create a 100% customized and personalized tour!