The area between the provinces of Rome and Viterbo holds environments of extraordinary value, both from a landscape and conservation point of view. It is here that during the year more than 100 bird species find refuge, using coastal wetlands, rural ecosystems and mountain massifs as a nesting, wintering or stopover site during migration.
Among the many species that we are going to observe, two prominent species closely related to anthropic constructions, the Lesser Kestrel (Falco naumanni), falcon that nests inside the structure where we will spend the night, the B&B Naumanni, a place surrounded by nature from which you can take breathtaking shots, and the European Roller (Coracias garrulus), one of the most colorful representatives of the European birdlife.
Accompanied by an ornithologist, we will explore the Mignone river valley, the Tarquinia saltpans and the Tolfa mountains, three of the most interesting places in Lazio for birdwatching and nature photography, as well as visiting the picturesque scenery that make ancient Tuscia a place of unquestionable charm.
- Mignone river valley:
The Mignone is a river that, in its central part, delimits the border between the Tolfa area to the south and the Maremma laziale to the north. The alluvial plain that hosts this stream contains agricultural and natural environments that blend together to form a landscape of extraordinary beauty, very rich from a wildlife point of view.
- Coastal wetlands:
The Lazio coast has countless wetlands, sites that each year host thousands of aquatic birds, including nesting, migratory and wintering species. Among these places are the Tarquinia saltpans, the only example in Lazio of this type of coastal environment, whose existence has been attested since the times of the Etruscans and Romans. In addition to birdlife, these environments are home to many species of interest including the Crested Porcupine and the Hermann’s Tortoise.
- Tolfa mountains:
Part of the Lazio “Anti-Apennines”, this mountainous massif is actually a complex of hills of volcanic origin, which reach a maximum of 616m above sea level. The woods and countryside that extend into the area are an excellent site for observing birds of prey and rural birdlife.
More than 60 bird species, including: Greater Flamingo (Phoenicopterus roseus), Short-toed Eagle (Circaetus gallicus), Red Kite (Milvus milvus), Black Kite (Milvus migrans), Montagu’s Harrier (Circus pygargus), Lesser Kestrel (Falco naumanni), Eurasian Hobby (Falco subbuteo), European Stone Curlew (Burhinus oedicnemus), Collared Pratincole (Glareola pratincola), Slender-billed Gull (Chroicocephalus genei), Audouin’s Gull (Ichthyaetus audouinii), Great Spotted Cuckoo (Clamator glandarius), European Bee-eater (Merops apiaster), European Roller (Coracias garrulus).
For more information about the birdlife in the Lazio region check out our Birding Rome section!
- Day 1:
Departure from Rome. Arrival and accommodation in the B&B Naumanni (depending on its availability) accommodation facility surrounded by nature and nesting site of the Lesser Kestrel. Birdwatching at km0 and visit to badlands. Exploration of the Mignone river valley with packed lunch. Visit to the historic center of Tarquinia and dinner. Return and overnight.
- Day 2:
Breakfast. Transfer to coastal wetlands. Birdwatching and seawatching. Exploration of the Tolfa mountains with packed lunch. Return to the structure and focus on Lesser Kestrel. Dinner and overnight.
- Day 3:
Breakfast. Birdwatching in the Mignone river valley with packed lunch. Return to Rome.
This schedule is purely indicative and can be modified according to customer needs.
From 600 €*
* variable rate based on number of participants and overnight stay (single room for single travelers, double for couples and cohabiting partners).
For more information contact the organizers.
What is included:
- Overnight stays.
- Meals (2 breakfasts, 3 packed lunches, 2 dinners – drinks not included).
- From/to Rome and internal transferts, including fuel, tolls and parking (depending on the rate).
- Scientific accompaniment by zoologist for the duration of the trip, with support material for wildlife observations (binoculars, spotting scope, field guides, etc.) – supplied according to anti-Covid19 safety provisions.
- Travel insurance.
What’s not included:
- Everything not mentioned in the previous item.
- Groups with a maximum number of 6 participants.
- Cancel your participation in case of body temperature equal to or higher than 37 ° C.
- Keep the minimum distance of at least 2 meters.
- Permanentuse of reusable mask (worn well) during stops is mandatory.
- Bringdisinfectant gel with you.
- Reservations requiredthrough our website.
- It is recommended to bring binoculars with you. Although limited in number, optical material will be made available, sterilized before and after the activity, for individual use.
- In birdwatching and wildlife observation activities that involve the use of the spotting scope, this will be made available avoiding approaching the lenses.
- In case of carpooling(car passage to reach the meeting place), the number of passengers will be limited to two per row of seats. The vehicle will be disinfected after each excursion.
Penalties in the event of cancellation: In case of withdrawal of the contract by the consumer, the penalties are equal to 100% of the entire participation fee, in addition to the non-refundable insurance premiums.
Insurance against cancellation and repatriation costs: It is possible, and indeed advisable, to take out special insurance policies at the time of booking at the organizer’s offices against the costs arising from the cancellation of the package, from accidents or illnesses, which also cover the repatriation costs and for the loss and / or damage of baggage.
Number of participants: Min 1 – max 6
When the minimum group is not reached the entire amount paid will be refunded.
Participants who, for personal reasons, decide not to participate in the event anymore will not be entitled to any refund, except for those who have taken out ad hoc insurance with the agency (for more information contact the organizers).
Reservations within 10 days of the departure date.
Information regarding rates and payment methods will be communicated by email after filling in the request form.
Can’t find the experience of your dreams? Do you want to observe a particular species or visit a specific natural area?
We can create a 100% customized and personalized tour!